All over the world, millions of people complain of back pain on a daily basis. Not only that they live with the pain, this distressing complaint And beyond living with the pain itself, this kind of condition reduces their quality of life; waking up in the morning is an agony, sitting in the car and driving to work is another agony, and even sitting on a chair at work for hours is yet more agony. They start to miss routine social /recreational activities that they enjoy and may not be able to accomplish even simple, daily necessities.
As a preemptive maneuver, paying more attention to the care of your spine (= your neck and back) now will help you reduce the chances of suffering from back pain later.
Don`t fret, improving your spine`s health is more simple than you can imagine and many of the steps you can take to achieve this involve are nothing more than practicing better body mechanics (e.g. how you move and carry yourself when you do routine daily activities).
It`s in your hands … Start Now
Here are some basic – yet vital – modifications to your routines that help:
- Lift it the right way. While lifting some physical weight, it’s not uncommon to twist the wrong way and harm your spine if you don’t do it properly. Here’s how to do it right: Stand as close to the physical weight as you can. Bend your knees so that your arms are at the same height as the object you`re lifting and use your legs rather than your back or upper body to pull up/lift the item. Always remember to keep your back straight while lifting. You`re not Superman, if you feel it`s heavy, don’t try to lift it yourself, call for some help….Keep Your Back Safe!
- Warm it by a ‘Stretch out’. Start your day with a smile and a few good muscles stretches, it will not only be energizing, but will promote your spinal health also. Keeping flexible helps maintain normal joint function and a good range of motion. It also reduces the risk of injury.
- Work smart. Applying proper ergonomics is crucial to reduce a lot of pressure on both your neck and back, thus reducing the possibility of distressing situations ranging from stiff neck / back and headaches to sciatica. Make sure your workspace — was it a laptop, computer desk, or even your car seat — is appropriately set up for your height and functionality. One rule of thumb; choose a comfortable chair that provides back support. Keep your knees at 90 degrees and your feet should be resting restfully on the floor. On using your mobile, hold the phone to your ear or use a headset but please never cradle your phone between your ear and shoulder to avoid neck pain. Last but never least; don’t forget to allow yourself regular breaks. Sitting in one position for too long can cause your back muscles to tighten up and become stiff.
- Sleep well. Proper sleeping is imperative for your overall health, your body needs a good night’s sleep to relax, repair, and recharge itself. Much better to sleep on your side, not your stomach; sleeping on your stomach puts too much pressure on your spine and causes tension on your neck muscles. It`s an investment rather than an expenditure to buy a supportive mattress, as well as a comfortable pillow that guarantees proper alignment of your neck. Always remember to turn your mattress regularly so that it wears evenly.
- Keep it flowing in. Pouring water and fluids frequently inside your body is important to maintaining soft tissue elasticity and fluidity in your joints. The intervertebral discs are vulnerable to loss of hydration and may begin to lose height over time. As the discs begin to shrink, you become more and more prone to painful disc conditions such as bulging or herniation.
- Get Moving. Whether you visit the gym regularly, walk, cycle, swim, or even play with your kids, staying active and keeping your body always mobile helps maintain your spine health. Moreover, physical exercise also helps you to lose weight or maintain a proper weight. If you`re overweight, especially with a protruding belly, this will put added stress on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in your lower back and make them exhausted, thus liable for strains, spasms or even worse.
- Never disregard warning signs. Don’t ever ignore back-related symptoms or pain. Yeah it`s common to experience some back pain every now and then, but occasionally it can be an alarm for a more serious problem that if left untreated, it can worsen and become quite serious. Your body could be sending you a message, listen to it. Collectively speaking, don’t overdo at the gym or at work, and more importantly, don`t self-medicate a spine problem. Seek professional medical attention to learn about your spine and the proper treatment for your symptoms.”
Add these tips to your life`s daily routine and you can evade a lot of common back and neck sufferings.
If you are suffering from spinal disc problems, consult Dr. Achim Lueth, the specialist orthopedic surgeon at German Medical Center – the best orthopedic clinic in Dubai. Dr. Lueth is specialized in providing both non-surgical and surgical solutions for spine problems.